A schnitzel casserole with mushroom cream sauce is a must for every real schnitzel fan 🙂
Prepared quickly and baked with cheese in the oven in no time at all, this simple schnitzel dish is one of the absolute gourmet highlights in every season.
The delicious schnitzel casserole is a great family meal for young and old with a guarantee of success, because the list of ingredients and the preparation steps are pleasantly short and simple.
For me, this, along with the classic Wiener Schnitzel, is the best thing you can do with a Schnitzel. Super suitable for every day, but also as a simple and yet super delicious Sunday meal.
In my simple recipe with easy-to-understand step-by-step instructions, I’ll show you how to conjure up this delicious schnitzel meal.
Is the schnitzel casserole with mushroom cream sauce suitable for children?
In any case. If you’re cooking for kids as well, just omit the optional white wine or substitute some beef broth.
You can also replace the acidity that the white wine would normally bring with a few squeezes of lemon juice.
Also make sure that you let the casserole cool down a bit after it comes out of the oven, because it is very hot and children can easily burn their mouths, especially with the melted cheese.
Can you prepare the schnitzel casserole with mushroom cream sauce?
Yes, very well. You can layer the fried schnitzel with the mushroom sauce and cheese in the casserole dish and then keep them covered in the fridge until the next day.
Perfect if you want to prepare this dish for guests or larger quantities.
Can you save the schnitzel casserole with mushroom cream sauce?
If you plan to save the dish or leftovers, chill it in the refrigerator as soon as possible after it has cooled.
You can either heat the food in the microwave or in the preheated oven for a few minutes. If the sauce has become too thick, you can make it more liquid by adding a little beef stock or water. Read more Meatballs basic recipe
preparation 15 mins
preparation 25 mins
Dish: main course
- 1 large pan
- 1 casserole dish
- 4 schnitzel pork, chicken, turkey or veal
- 200 g mushrooms white or brown
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 1 cup of sour cream or crème fraîche
- 1 cup cream 200g
- 400 ml beef broth
- 100ml white wine optional
- 200 g grated cheese Or depending on how much cheese you like 🙂
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp thyme or 1 tsp herbs de Provence
- oil for frying
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees top and bottom heat.
- Peel the onion, cut in half and then finely dice.
- Peel and press the garlic or chop it with a knife.
- Clean and quarter the mushrooms or slice large mushrooms.
- Rinse the escalopes under cold water, then pat dry with paper towels.
- Season on both sides with salt, black pepper and sweet paprika.
- Sear the schnitzel for about 1 minute on each side, adding a little oil or clarified butter. Then remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the mushrooms for a few minutes.
- Danach diese ebenfalls herausnehmen und beiseitestellen.
- Again in the same pan, sauté the onions briefly, then add the garlic and sauté briefly.
- Now put the mushrooms back into the pan.
- Deglaze with white wine, let it reduce briefly and then add the beef broth.
- Now let it reduce for 2 to 3 minutes and then reduce the heat and add the sour cream (or crème fraîche) and the cream to the pan.
- Mix everything well and simmer on low heat for a few minutes.
Preparation in the oven:
- Spread the schnitzels in a casserole dish.
- Then spread the mushroom sauce over it.
- Generously sprinkle the grated cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven on the middle shelf for about 25 minutes, until the cheese has melted and is beginning to turn golden brown.
- Note: Since every oven works a little differently and the amount of ingredients used is always slightly different, the cooking time can also vary slightly.
- Then take it out and let it cool down a bit.
Arranging and serving:
- Place the schnitzel on plates together with the sauce and the mushrooms and a side dish of your choice and serve immediately.
- Serve with croquettes, fries, pasta or rice,
- Enjoy your meal!