Healthy white chicken chili that’s nice and creamy, yet there’s no cream! Made with green chile, chicken, corn and blended chickpeas to make it thick and creamy. This easy white chicken chili recipe can even be made in the slow cooker and is bound to become a new family favorite. Serve with avocado, tortilla chips and cilantro.
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 can mild green chiles (or sub 2 seeded and diced jalapenos)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¾ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (or chicken breast)
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 1/3 cup fresh, chopped cilantro
- Tortilla strips or chips
- Extra cilantro
- Avocado slices
- Extra lime wedge
- Add olive oil to a large dutch oven or large pot and place over medium high heat. Add onion and green chiles and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Next stir in cumin, chili powder, coriander and dried oregano; allow the spices to cook for 30 seconds, then add in chicken broth, 1 can of drained chickpeas (about 1 1/2 cups chickpeas), uncooked chicken breast and salt and pepper. Simmer on medium low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and shred with two forks. Next add in fresh lime juice and cilantro.
- Finally, add the remaining can of rinsed and drained chickpeas (1 1/2 cups chickpeas) and ½ cup water (or broth) to a blender. Blend until somewhat smooth, adding a little more water if necessary.
- Pour blended chickpeas into soup pot and then stir in the corn, lime juice and cilantro. Allow soup to cook and simmer for 5-10 more minutes. Serve with tortilla chips, an extra lime wedge and avocado if you’d like. Serves 4. Enjoy!