Coleslaw is a wonderfully delicious American coleslaw and the best part is that you can easily make coleslaw at home.
Coleslaw is creamy and crunchy and absolutely wonderful and perfect for grilling.
The term coleslaw originally comes from the Dutch and today describes a coleslaw with carrots and onions that is dressed with a deliciously creamy mayonnaise dressing.
Of course there are thousands of ways to put together the coleslaw and which dressing is the “best”.
What ingredients do you need for coleslaw?
For coleslaw you only need 4 ingredients. These are:
- white cabbage
If you want to make the coleslaw salad a little more colourful, you can also mix in red cabbage (red cabbage) and red onions.
How do you make coleslaw?
Coleslaw is a 10 minute salad. It is prepared super quickly. However, it should steep for 2 to 3 hours so that the cabbage becomes softer and the taste is optimally distributed.
If you like the cabbage very crunchy, you can of course eat it beforehand.
First, remove the outer leaves from the cabbage. Then you cut it in half and generously cut out the hard inner stalk.
Then quarter the cabbage and cut each quarter crosswise into very thin strips. You can also use a mandolin for this.
Now put the white cabbage strips in a bowl, pour boiling water over them and let the white cabbage strips soak for about 4 minutes.
In the meantime, you can grate the carrots and finely dice the onions.
Then pour the white cabbage through a sieve, put it back in the bowl and add the carrots, onions, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp vinegar.
Knead the lettuce vigorously again with your hands. This makes it a little softer.
Now you make the mayonnaise dressing. Read more Rice stir-fry with turkey gyros
Dish: side dish, salad
Country & Region: American
- vegetable slicer
- vegetable grater
For the salad:
- 1 small white cabbage approx. 1 kg
- 2 grated carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 red onion
For the dressing:
- 200g mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vinegar
For the white cabbage:
- Halve the cabbage.
- Remove the outer leaves and cut out the hard inner stalk in a wedge shape.
- Now quarter the cabbage.
- Slice each quarter very thinly to form strips.
- Tip: It’s easier to use the vegetable slicer * (mandolin).
- Put the cabbage in a bowl and pour boiling water over it.
- Let the cabbage stand for 4 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel the carrots and grate them finely or cut them into thin sticks.
- Peel the onions, then halve and cut crosswise into thin rings.
- After 4 minutes, drain the white cabbage in a colander and allow to cool briefly.
- Add carrots and onions, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp vinegar.
- Knead the lettuce vigorously with your hands. This makes it softer.
For the dressing:
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing well in a bowl.
- Taste again and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix well.
- The lettuce should now sit in the fridge for at least 2 to 3 hours.
- Before serving, mix well again and season with salt and black pepper.