Chicken with vegetables – I love chicken in all variations and combinations. And I particularly like the chicken with vegetables from the oven .
This simple dish is not only suitable for beginners, but also for every season, because after the short and simple preparation, it cooks all by itself in the oven.
So it’s definitely also suitable for summer, because you don’t have to spend most of the time in the kitchen 🙂
How to cook chicken with vegetables in the oven
First, of course, you need the chicken pieces. I prefer chicken legs for this dish, i.e. thighs and drumsticks from the chicken.
The chicken pieces are only seasoned with salt, black pepper and sweet paprika powder.
Feel free to generously season the chicken pieces to give them a nice flavor too.
Then briefly fry the chicken pieces all over in a preheated pan and then set them aside. They come later on the potatoes and veggies before they go in the oven.
At the same time you can peel the potatoes and cut the remaining vegetables into small pieces.
It all comes together in a large casserole dish and is heavily seasoned with the spices specified in the recipe.
Now add some chicken broth and place the chicken pieces evenly distributed on top of the potatoes and vegetables.
It is important that the chicken pieces are on top, because this is the only way they will get a crispy skin later.
Now put the casserole dish on the middle shelf in the preheated oven.
That’s about it 🙂
After about 70 minutes, the chicken pieces and vegetables should be cooked through.
Since every oven is different, it’s best to check on the chicken every 15 minutes . If it gets too dark, you can cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil . The dish will then continue to cook as normal, but the chicken pieces will not darken.
What is the best way to cook chicken in the oven?
The chicken should be cooked at a temperature of 190 – 200 degrees top and bottom heat on the middle shelf. It’s done when the core temperature in the thickest piece is at least 70 degrees.
You can also cook the chicken a little longer. I like my chicken to be firm and crispy, so I just leave it in the oven a little longer
The chicken parts that contain a bone, i.e. the chicken drumsticks, are best suited for the oven. They stay juicy longer than chicken breasts, for example.
A digital meat thermometer, which you can get for little money at Amazon* , is very practical . You can also use such a meat thermometer for steaks, roasts or when grilling and always know exactly when the meat is done.
Tips for preparing chicken
- Always store and process raw chicken separately from other foods.
- Use a separate knife and cutting board for processing raw chicken.
- Thoroughly clean all surfaces that have come into contact with the raw chicken with hot water and dish soap.
- Wash hands thoroughly after handling raw chicken.
- Chicken should be cooked through and not eaten pink. The cooked chicken should be white and the meat juices should be clear and not pink. The core temperature should be at least 70 degrees Celsius.
The stated preparation times are an average. It’s completely normal if things go a little quicker or take a little longer, because some of the preparations are done faster than others and the chicken pieces can also be different sizes. In addition, every oven is different. It is best to always check whether the chickens are done and are the way you like to eat them. Read More Marinated Chicken with Roasted Vegetables (All in One)
preparation : 15 mins
preparation : 1 hour 10 minutes
In total : 1 hour 25 minutes
For the chicken
- 4 chicken pieces
- 1/2 to 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp sweet paprika powder
For the vegetables
- 8 to 10 medium- sized potatoes
- 1 red onions
- 1 onions
- 2 peppers red, yellow and green
- 1/2 leek _
- Some cherry tomatoes
- 1 garlic cloves pressed
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp paprika rose hot
- 1 teaspoons salt Or more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 50 ml chicken stock
And that’s how it’s done
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees top and bottom heat.
- Wash the chicken pieces, dry them and season with salt, pepper and sweet paprika.
- Fry in a little olive oil in a preheated pan for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Peel, wash and halve the potatoes.
- Press the garlic, peel and roughly chop the onions.
- Halve the peppers and remove the seeds. Then rinse and cut into small pieces.
- Clean the leek and cut into rings.
- Wash and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Put together
- Place the potatoes and chopped vegetables in a large casserole dish.
- Generously season everything with 3 tbsp olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, sweet paprika and paprika rosemary, rosemary, thyme and 1 tsp lemon juice and mix well.
- Now add the chicken broth.
- Distribute the chicken pieces evenly on top.
- Cook in the preheated oven on the middle shelf for about 70 minutes.
- Note: Since every oven works a little differently and the amount of ingredients used is always slightly different, the cooking time can also vary slightly.
- Tip: The chicken pieces should always be on top when cooking so that they get nice and crispy. If the chicken pieces get too dark during the cooking process, cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil.
Arrange and serve
- After the cooking time, remove the casserole dish from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Then spread on plates and serve immediately.
- Enjoy your meal!