Chicken with potatoes and vegetables in tomato sauce is a great family weekend meal. The preparations for the meal are done quickly and the oven takes care of the rest.
Chicken with potatoes and vegetables is popular with young and old. The kids like chicken thighs just as much as we adults do. By cooking the meat on the bone and in the sauce, it becomes beautifully juicy and tender.
Would you like tender poultry from the oven?
This recipe will make it easy and hassle-free for you. The simple recipe is therefore also ideal for beginners.
The tomato sauce that comes in the casserole dish makes this chicken with potatoes and vegetables ingeniously good.
A nice, creamy tomato sauce with the potato vegetables and the crispy chicken on top.
Which vegetables do I need for chicken with potatoes and vegetables?
For my simple and super delicious oven dish you need the following ingredients:
- Meat : Season 4 chicken thighs with salt, pepper and paprika
- Potatoes : 12-16 small spring potatoes, whole or halved depending on the size of the potatoes
- Peppers : 1 red and 1 yellow pepper cut into strips
- Carrots : 2 carrots cut into rings
- Spring onions : 2 stalks of spring onions, cut into rings
- For the tomato sauce : 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 normal onion, 1 red onion, 1 clove of garlic, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 500 g of tomato passata, 1 tbsp oregano, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp paprika powder, 1 tsp sugar, 200 ml chicken broth (or beef broth).
How do you make chicken potatoes and vegetables in tomato sauce?
The preparations for this dish are done relatively quickly.
First, separate the drumstick from the thigh. This is best done with a sharp knife. Then you wash the individual chicken parts and dry them thoroughly. Best with kitchen paper. Then season the chicken on both sides with salt, pepper and paprika powder.
Preparing the vegetables is also done quickly. Especially if you use new potatoes like triplets, you should definitely leave the skin on. All you have to do is wash the potatoes thoroughly and cut some in half depending on the size of the potatoes. In order for the potatoes to cook evenly, they should all be the same size.
The peppers are also washed and then cut into strips. Peel the carrots with a vegetable peeler and then cut them into rings or sticks if you like.
You then put the cut vegetables in a casserole dish, a roaster or in a high baking tray.
Next, heat a pan with a little oil and sear the chicken on both sides until they get some colour. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Now we will prepare the tomato sauce in the same pan.
To do this, put the finely chopped onions and garlic in the pan, add some oil and sauté both in it. Next, briefly roast the tomato paste with the sugar in the pan.
Then you deglaze the mixture with the chicken broth and the tomato passata, season the tomato sauce with salt, pepper, paprika powder and oregano and let the sauce simmer for 5 minutes.
Pour the cooked tomato sauce over the vegetables in the casserole dish and put the chicken on top. This way the vegetables will be soft and the chicken will be crispy.
The chicken with potatoes and vegetables is then baked in a preheated oven at 200° top/bottom heat for about 60 minutes.
Note : Since every oven works a little differently and the amount of ingredients used is always slightly different, the cooking time can also vary slightly.
Tip: If your chicken is getting too brown and the vegetables are not yet soft, you can cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil. Read More Whole chicken poularde from the oven
Chicken with potatoes and vegetables in tomato sauce
preparation time 20 mins
preparation time 1 hour
working time 1 hour 20 minutes
court main dish
- 1 pan, 1 casserole dish, spatula
- 4 chicken thighs
- Salt pepper
- Sweet paprika powder
For the vegetables:
- 12-16 small new potatoes or regular potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 stick of spring onions
- 2 carrots
For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion
- 1 regular onion
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 500 g of tomato passata
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 200 ml chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 200° top/bottom heat.
- Separate the thighs and drumsticks. Wash and dry the chicken pieces.
- Season the chicken pieces on both sides with salt, pepper and paprika powder.
- Sear the chicken all over in a large pan with a little oil. Take out and set aside.
The tomato sauce:
- Peel the onions and 1 clove of garlic. Slice the onions and finely chop the garlic.
- In the same pan, heat olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic.
- Add the tomato paste and the sugar and fry briefly.
- Deglaze with the broth and add the crushed tomatoes.
- Season with salt, pepper, paprika powder and oregano and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly, cut larger potatoes in half.
- Wash, trim and slice the peppers.
- Wash the spring onions and cut into rings.
- Peel and slice the carrots.
- Spread the potatoes and vegetables in a large casserole dish.
- Peel and quarter two cloves of garlic and add to the vegetables.
- Tip : You can also halve unpeeled garlic whole and put it on the vegetables. This gives the sauce a great flavor and you can easily remove the garlic before serving.
- Pour the tomato sauce on top and spread evenly.
- Place the chicken pieces on the vegetables.
- Cook on the middle rack in the preheated oven for about 60 minutes.
- After 1 hour, use a fork to check if your veggies are soft. If this is not already the case, I recommend covering the casserole dish with aluminum foil and putting the casserole dish in the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
- After baking, sprinkle with spring onion rings or fresh parsley and serve in the casserole dish.