Chicken and Dumplings. You'll be rewarded with a savory, steamy chicken in broth with light, fluffy dumplings as the topping. Chicken and dumplings are the ultimate comfort food, aren't they? When we were kids, my mother used to make chicken and dumplings for us by simply adding Bisquick biscuit dough to chicken stew.
There's nothing like old-fashioned homemade chicken and dumplings for a filling, comforting meal. Find a new favorite recipe, whether you like fluffy dumplings or a chewy noodle version. Chicken and dumplings can be a little difficult to get right, but the flour and cornmeal in this recipe help prevent gloopy flour balls. You can have Chicken and Dumplings using 21 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken and Dumplings
- It’s of Chicken.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of butter.
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 1 of whole medium chicken, cut into pieces.
- It’s to taste of Salt.
- Prepare to taste of Ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of carrots, finely diced.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of celery, finely diced.
- You need 1 of large onion, finely diced.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground turmeric.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of ground thyme.
- You need 1.5 of L/6 cups chicken broth.
- Prepare 1/2 half of and half (see step 3 for substitute).
- It’s 2 tbsp of all-purpose flour/plain flour.
- It’s of Dumplings.
- Prepare 1 1/2 of all-purpose flour/plain flour.
- You need 1/2 cup of yellow cornmeal/fine polenta.
- It’s 1 of heaped tbsp baking powder.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of half and half (see step 3 for substitute).
- It’s 2 tbsp of minced parsley.
Slightly brothy, slightly creamy, with the most delectable dumplings. This version of chicken and dumplings starts with a couple of smart shortcuts to make it easy enough to pull off on a weeknight, without skimping on the rich, savory flavor and tender dumplings you expect. Chicken and Dumplings might be one of my new favorites! This recipe is basic that even those that are new or a beginner will be able to make it!
Chicken and Dumplings step by step
- Melt the butter with the olive oil over a medium/high heat. Season the chicken with a little salt and pepper. Over 2 batches brown the chicken on all sides and transfer to a clean plant and set aside..
- Using the same pot add the carrots, onions and celery. Stir and fry for 3-4 minutes over a low/medium heat. Add in the turmeric and thyme, then pour in the broth. Stir and add the chicken back into the pot. Cover with a lid and simmer for around 20 minutes..
- In the meantime while the chicken is simmering prepare the dumpling batter. Sift together into a bowl the flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder. Then add the half and half and gently stir together until combined. Set aside. (Substitute for half and half: Mix 1 tsp of melted butter per 1/4 cup of milk).
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pot and set aside on a plate. Using two forks remove the chicken from the bones and shred it. Remove most of the chicken skin aswell. Return the shredded chicken to the pot. Mix together the half and half and flour and then add it into the pot and stir to combine. Check seasoning, add more salt and pepper if needed..
- Using a tablespoon drop the dumpling batter into the pot one by one. Sprinkle with the parsley. Cover again with the lid and allow to simmer for another 15 minutes. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes before serving..
This quick-and-easy recipe for Chicken & Dumplings is the perfect comfort food. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Prepare dumplings and set them aside for a few minutes. Shake the pot gently in a circular motion to submerge dumplings in stock. Making the dumplings is easy, you just whisk together some dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt), add butter and buttermilk, and dollop the dough on top of your chicken stew mixture.