Chicken and dumplings. You'll be rewarded with a savory, steamy chicken in broth with light, fluffy dumplings as the topping. Chicken and dumplings are the ultimate comfort food, aren't they? When we were kids, my mother used to make chicken and dumplings for us by simply adding Bisquick biscuit dough to chicken stew.
There's nothing like old-fashioned homemade chicken and dumplings for a filling, comforting meal. Find a new favorite recipe, whether you like fluffy dumplings or a chewy noodle version. Chicken and dumplings can be a little difficult to get right, but the flour and cornmeal in this recipe help prevent gloopy flour balls. You can have Chicken and dumplings using 11 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chicken and dumplings
- It’s of soup.
- Prepare 6 stick of celery-sliced.
- You need 1 packages of Baby carrots-diced.
- It’s 1 large of yellow onion- diced.
- It’s 2 large of containers chicken broth.
- Prepare 4 each of chicken breasts.
- You need 4 dash of garlic powder.
- You need 4 dash of dried garlic.
- You need 4 dash of salt & pepper to taste.
- It’s 2 cup of bisquick mix.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of milk-more if needed.
Slightly brothy, slightly creamy, with the most delectable dumplings. This version of chicken and dumplings starts with a couple of smart shortcuts to make it easy enough to pull off on a weeknight, without skimping on the rich, savory flavor and tender dumplings you expect. Chicken and Dumplings might be one of my new favorites! This recipe is basic that even those that are new or a beginner will be able to make it!
Chicken and dumplings instructions
- In large stockpot, add chicken breasts, salt and pepper, garlic powder and dried garlic with enough water to boil on medium heat for about 30 minutes or until chicken breasts are no longer pink ( can be a little pink chicken will finish cooking off in stock)..
- While chicken is cooking, chop onions, celery and carrots..
- Remove chicken from pot and shred..
- Add both containers of chicken stock to a large stockpot with more salt and pepper, garlic powder, celery, carrots and onion. Let boil on medium heat for 20 minutes..
- Add shredded chicken to stock and vegetables. Add cover and simmer on low..
- Make your dumplings: mix the two cups with the 2/3 milk slowly. Make sure dough can be formed into balls in your hand if two sticky either add more milk for a more fluffier dumpling or more bisquick for a more thicker dumpling. But slowly add it! Too much too fast and you will have a big mess on your hands!.
- Drop dumplings by the mounds into chicken soup. Don't worry about over crowding them they will separate later ..
- Bring to a boil for 10 -15 minutes. If broth becomes sparse add more water. Make sure it is covered so that the steam cooks the dumplings!.
- Take a wooden spoon and start separating the dumplings away from each other in the pot. But keep them in the pot ..
- Serve over egg noodles or rice ENJOY!!.
This quick-and-easy recipe for Chicken & Dumplings is the perfect comfort food. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Prepare dumplings and set them aside for a few minutes. Shake the pot gently in a circular motion to submerge dumplings in stock. Making the dumplings is easy, you just whisk together some dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt), add butter and buttermilk, and dollop the dough on top of your chicken stew mixture.