Chicken and dumplings. You'll be rewarded with a savory, steamy chicken in broth with light, fluffy dumplings as the topping. Chicken and dumplings are the ultimate comfort food, aren't they? When we were kids, my mother used to make chicken and dumplings for us by simply adding Bisquick biscuit dough to chicken stew.
There's nothing like old-fashioned homemade chicken and dumplings for a filling, comforting meal. Find a new favorite recipe, whether you like fluffy dumplings or a chewy noodle version. Chicken and dumplings can be a little difficult to get right, but the flour and cornmeal in this recipe help prevent gloopy flour balls. You can cook Chicken and dumplings using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken and dumplings
- It’s 2-3 lbs of chicken (whatever cut you prefer).
- You need 1 quart of chicken broth.
- Prepare 1 quart of water.
- You need 2 T of butter.
- You need 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour.
- It’s 3 T of Crisco.
- Prepare 1 t of baking powder.
- You need 3/4-1 cup of buttermilk.
- It’s to taste of salt and pepper.
- Prepare to taste of Garlic powder.
Slightly brothy, slightly creamy, with the most delectable dumplings. This version of chicken and dumplings starts with a couple of smart shortcuts to make it easy enough to pull off on a weeknight, without skimping on the rich, savory flavor and tender dumplings you expect. Chicken and Dumplings might be one of my new favorites! This recipe is basic that even those that are new or a beginner will be able to make it!
Chicken and dumplings instructions
- In large pot, cover chicken with water, chicken broth, butter, salt and pepper..
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer over med-low heat until tender (approx 1 hour)..
- Set cooked chicken aside to cool (keep broth). Shred when cool..
- In large bowl, combine flour, Crisco, tsp salt and baking powder. Mixture will be crumbly..
- Start with 3/4 cup buttermilk and add more if needed to make a dough, knead and roll to approx 1/4 inch thick..
- Cut into strips and add to boiling chicken broth. Simmer approx 10-15 min. (If there is not enough liquid add more chicken broth)..
- Add chicken back to pot and simmer for another 10-15 min. Serve. (I added a little flour to the mixture to thicken)..
- Note: Vegetables can be added at beginning if preferred. Add any or all of the following: 3 large carrots, peeled & diced; 1 med yellow onion, diced; 3 stalks celery, diced; 1 cup peas..
This quick-and-easy recipe for Chicken & Dumplings is the perfect comfort food. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Prepare dumplings and set them aside for a few minutes. Shake the pot gently in a circular motion to submerge dumplings in stock. Making the dumplings is easy, you just whisk together some dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt), add butter and buttermilk, and dollop the dough on top of your chicken stew mixture.