Chicken and Dumplings. You'll be rewarded with a savory, steamy chicken in broth with light, fluffy dumplings as the topping. Chicken and dumplings are the ultimate comfort food, aren't they? When we were kids, my mother used to make chicken and dumplings for us by simply adding Bisquick biscuit dough to chicken stew.
There's nothing like old-fashioned homemade chicken and dumplings for a filling, comforting meal. Find a new favorite recipe, whether you like fluffy dumplings or a chewy noodle version. Chicken and dumplings can be a little difficult to get right, but the flour and cornmeal in this recipe help prevent gloopy flour balls. You can cook Chicken and Dumplings using 12 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken and Dumplings
- You need 2 of Chicken Breasts.
- Prepare 2 of Celery Stalks.
- It’s 1/2 small of Onion.
- It’s 3 of Carrots.
- It’s 3 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 1 tbsp of poultry seasoning.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of Celery salt.
- You need 1/4 cup of flour.
- You need 3 cup of chicken stock.
- It’s 3 cup of whole milk.
- Prepare 1 1/4 cup of biscuit mix.
- Prepare 1 cup of milk.
Slightly brothy, slightly creamy, with the most delectable dumplings. This version of chicken and dumplings starts with a couple of smart shortcuts to make it easy enough to pull off on a weeknight, without skimping on the rich, savory flavor and tender dumplings you expect. Chicken and Dumplings might be one of my new favorites! This recipe is basic that even those that are new or a beginner will be able to make it!
Chicken and Dumplings instructions
- Boil Chicken Breast in tsp poultry seasoning and 1/8 tap celery salt.
- Sautee onion, carrots, celery in 3 tblsp butter until onions and celery are translucent..
- Once the chicken has cooked through to 160°F remove it from the water, do not dump the water set it aside and use it for the chicken stock!.
- Sprinkle the flour over the sauteed veggies and let the flour soak up the butter (stir them around) make sure all the flour is moistened!.
- Add the chicken stock and milk to the veggies and wisk to incorporate the flour!.
- Bring to a simmer slowly over med heat..
- Shred chicken and add to the pot..
- While waiting for your soup mix to simmer mix the biscuit mix and milk together, dough will be stiff. Make nickel size balls..
- Continue to stir soup, once it has a good simmer going drop the dumplings into the soup and watch them fluff up right before your eyes!.
- Let simmer for about 10-15 mins to ensure the dumplings are cooked..
This quick-and-easy recipe for Chicken & Dumplings is the perfect comfort food. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Prepare dumplings and set them aside for a few minutes. Shake the pot gently in a circular motion to submerge dumplings in stock. Making the dumplings is easy, you just whisk together some dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt), add butter and buttermilk, and dollop the dough on top of your chicken stew mixture.