Eggplant and Tomato Gratin. Japanese eggplants are longer and more narrow than the globe eggplants most of us are familiar with, so the slices are more manageable in the gratin. Meanwhile, to make the tomato sauce, heat the olive oil in a large, heavy, preferably nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Tender slices of eggplant, layers of tomatoes and chunks of tangy goat cheese are a quick and easy side dish, perfect to accompany any entrée.
Add half of the gratin topping. With your hands or two spoons, gently mix the vegetables and. In an oven proof dish, mix eggplants, garlic and half oil, half salt and half pepper (I mixed everything in a large bowl). You can have Eggplant and Tomato Gratin using 7 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Eggplant and Tomato Gratin
- Prepare 1 of medium eggplant.
- Prepare 2 of tomatos.
- It’s 1 tbsp of dried herbs (oregano, basil, etc).
- It’s 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of milk (or heavy cream if you prefer).
- You need 3/4 cup of shredded fontina cheese (mozzarella or any other nice white cheese works too).
- Prepare of salt and pepper.
Lay out the eggplant slices in one layer in a baking dish (I used a large baking pan and I made half recipe). Provençal Eggplant-Tomato Gratin is a smoky, herby use for late-summer produce. Get the recipe at Food & Wine. Plain and simple, this tomato and eggplant gratin is delicious.
Eggplant and Tomato Gratin instructions
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a shallow oven-safe dish with nonstick cooking spray..
- Slice eggplant into 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch slices. Slice the tomato into somewhat thin slices. Arrange in the dish so that nothing is overlapping..
- Sprinkle with the herbs and garlic. Pour the milk or cream on top of everything. Then top with the shredded cheese. Salt and pepper to taste..
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes until bubbly. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes until cheese has slightly browned. Let cool slightly before enjoying!.
While the eggplant is soaking, place the tomato slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (to prevent sticking) and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Try this Eggplant and Tomato Gratin recipe, or contribute your own. Put the tomatoes through the medium blade of a food mill. Spoon a small amount of tomato sauce over the bottom and top with one-third of the eggplant. We found this to be very bland.