Chicken and Dumplings. You'll be rewarded with a savory, steamy chicken in broth with light, fluffy dumplings as the topping. Chicken and dumplings are the ultimate comfort food, aren't they? When we were kids, my mother used to make chicken and dumplings for us by simply adding Bisquick biscuit dough to chicken stew.
There's nothing like old-fashioned homemade chicken and dumplings for a filling, comforting meal. Find a new favorite recipe, whether you like fluffy dumplings or a chewy noodle version. Chicken and dumplings can be a little difficult to get right, but the flour and cornmeal in this recipe help prevent gloopy flour balls. You can have Chicken and Dumplings using 15 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken and Dumplings
- It’s of For the Chicken.
- Prepare 8 quart of pot.
- It’s of Large pack chicken thighs (about 8 thighs bone and skin).
- You need 8 cups of water.
- Prepare Half of a fresh onion chopped.
- You need 4 cloves of fresh garlic minced.
- You need 4 stalks of celery chopped bite size.
- Prepare 4 of carrots chopped bite size.
- It’s 4 of Tblsp butter.
- It’s of Olive oil.
- You need of Garlic powder.
- You need of Salt and white pepper.
- You need of ground thyme.
- Prepare of For the dumplings.
- Prepare of See my recipe for Buttermilk Biscuits.
Slightly brothy, slightly creamy, with the most delectable dumplings. This version of chicken and dumplings starts with a couple of smart shortcuts to make it easy enough to pull off on a weeknight, without skimping on the rich, savory flavor and tender dumplings you expect. Chicken and Dumplings might be one of my new favorites! This recipe is basic that even those that are new or a beginner will be able to make it!
Chicken and Dumplings instructions
- Sprinkle the garlic powder, salt, white pepper and thyme all over the thighs. Put some olive oil into the pot and brown the chicken thighs skin side down.
- After that turn them over to brown the other side and add the fresh garlic and onion.
- Next add the butter.
- When butter has melted and onion and garlic are soft add 8 cups of water bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer cook for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the pot to cool off, drain the broth add back to pot and add celery and carrots to cook.
- Meanwhile make your biscuit dough for the dumplings use only half the recipe.
- Roll them out kinda thin and cut lengthwise and crosswise.
- Pick the meat from the thighs and chop if necessary to get the pieces the way you like.
- Heat up broth again to boiling and add one batch at a time making sure the dumplings cook through this may take 30 minutes.
- When that is done add the chicken back to the pot and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes together.
- You are done !! ENJOY !!😊😋.
This quick-and-easy recipe for Chicken & Dumplings is the perfect comfort food. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Prepare dumplings and set them aside for a few minutes. Shake the pot gently in a circular motion to submerge dumplings in stock. Making the dumplings is easy, you just whisk together some dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt), add butter and buttermilk, and dollop the dough on top of your chicken stew mixture.