Chicken and dumplings. You'll be rewarded with a savory, steamy chicken in broth with light, fluffy dumplings as the topping. Chicken and dumplings are the ultimate comfort food, aren't they? When we were kids, my mother used to make chicken and dumplings for us by simply adding Bisquick biscuit dough to chicken stew.
There's nothing like old-fashioned homemade chicken and dumplings for a filling, comforting meal. Find a new favorite recipe, whether you like fluffy dumplings or a chewy noodle version. Chicken and dumplings can be a little difficult to get right, but the flour and cornmeal in this recipe help prevent gloopy flour balls. You can have Chicken and dumplings using 18 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken and dumplings
- Prepare of chicken and broth.
- You need 6 large of chicken breasts boneless and skinless.
- It’s 1 1/2 tbsp of celery salt.
- It’s 2 quart of chicken broth.
- It’s 1 quart of boiling water.
- It’s 1 tsp of granulated garlic powder.
- You need 1 tsp of white pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground black pepper freshly ground.
- You need of dumplings.
- It’s 2 cup of ap flour.
- It’s 2 large of eggs.
- You need 1 cup of chicken broth.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare of thickener.
- It’s 1/4 cup of ap flour.
- It’s 1/4 cup of margarine.
- You need 1/4 cup of olive oil, extra virgin.
- You need 1/4 cup of cool water.
Slightly brothy, slightly creamy, with the most delectable dumplings. This version of chicken and dumplings starts with a couple of smart shortcuts to make it easy enough to pull off on a weeknight, without skimping on the rich, savory flavor and tender dumplings you expect. Chicken and Dumplings might be one of my new favorites! This recipe is basic that even those that are new or a beginner will be able to make it!
Chicken and dumplings instructions
- Boil the chicken in broth and water add the other ingredients for broth.
- When chicken is done shred the chicken add back to broth.
- Mix the ingredients for the dumplings knead it 2 minutes roll out I used a ravioli crimper to cut them out.
- As broth is boiling add dumplings after you get them all cut out add a few at a time if the broth quits boiling stop stir cover and when it recovers add more dumplings till all are boiled.
- Mix your thickener ingredients mix well add to broth chicken and dumplings stirring constantly.
- It will thicken some thicken more just add oil and flour mixed it will get thicker.
This quick-and-easy recipe for Chicken & Dumplings is the perfect comfort food. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Prepare dumplings and set them aside for a few minutes. Shake the pot gently in a circular motion to submerge dumplings in stock. Making the dumplings is easy, you just whisk together some dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt), add butter and buttermilk, and dollop the dough on top of your chicken stew mixture.