Stew of the Pharaohs.
You can cook Stew of the Pharaohs using 19 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Stew of the Pharaohs
- You need 8-10 of boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Prepare 1 cup of pearl barley.
- You need 4 of x 900 ml chicken stock.
- Prepare 3 of medium carrots, finely chopped.
- Prepare 1 can of diced tomatoes with liquid.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of minced fresh ginger.
- It’s 1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh cilantro.
- It’s 1 of onion finely chopped.
- It’s 1 tbsp of cumin.
- You need 1 tsp of turmeric.
- You need 1 tsp of sweet paprika.
- It’s 1 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic minced.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of died red lentils.
- It’s of zest and juice of 3 limes.
- It’s 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- You need of kosher salt.
- You need of ground black pepper.
- It’s 3 tbsp of cooking oil.
Stew of the Pharaohs step by step
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat and add oil.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken. add to pot and cook until evenly browned, about 10 minutes in total. Remove chicken..
- Add carrots, ginger, and onion. Saute for about 6 minutes until soft, constantly stirring..
- Add garlic. Saute another 2 minutes while stirring.
- Add all spices, cilantro and can of diced tomato with liquid. Saute 3 minutes, while stirring constantly..
- Return chicken and any liquid from chicken back to pot..
- Add all 4 cartons of chicken stock to pot.
- Add zest and juice from 3 limes. Bring to a boil..
- Add pearl barley to pot, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and set a timer for 20 minutes.
- After 20 min add red lentils to pot and cover. Set timer for another 25 minutes.
- After timer ends, remove all pieces of chicken to a plate and shred with 2 forks..
- Return shredded chicken to pot and add lemon juice. Remove from heat and let rest for 10 minutes..
- Enjoy served with fresh Naan bread or fresh baguette. Also, a tablespoon of plain yogurt added to bowl is excellent..