Chicken and Dumplings. You'll be rewarded with a savory, steamy chicken in broth with light, fluffy dumplings as the topping. Chicken and dumplings are the ultimate comfort food, aren't they? When we were kids, my mother used to make chicken and dumplings for us by simply adding Bisquick biscuit dough to chicken stew.
There's nothing like old-fashioned homemade chicken and dumplings for a filling, comforting meal. Find a new favorite recipe, whether you like fluffy dumplings or a chewy noodle version. Chicken and dumplings can be a little difficult to get right, but the flour and cornmeal in this recipe help prevent gloopy flour balls. You can cook Chicken and Dumplings using 11 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Chicken and Dumplings
- It’s 2 of fryer chickens.
- Prepare 2 of large onions chopped.
- It’s 4 of carrots chopped.
- Prepare 1 stalk of celery chopped.
- It’s 2 tbsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Lawry's seasoned salt.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 4 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 6 of eggs.
- It’s 2 of egg yolks.
- You need 1 cup of room temperature water.
Slightly brothy, slightly creamy, with the most delectable dumplings. This version of chicken and dumplings starts with a couple of smart shortcuts to make it easy enough to pull off on a weeknight, without skimping on the rich, savory flavor and tender dumplings you expect. Chicken and Dumplings might be one of my new favorites! This recipe is basic that even those that are new or a beginner will be able to make it!
Chicken and Dumplings instructions
- place chickens in a large stock pot.
- add celery,onions, carrots, garlic, Lawry's, and pepper. Fill pot with water.
- boil until chicken is done.
- while chicken is boiling collect the eggs.
- put flour, eggs, and egg yolks in large mixing bowl.
- add room temperature water 1 Tbsp at a time and kneed by hand until dough is slightly tacky.
- roll dough out on well floured surface until dough is approximately 1/8-1/4" thick adding flour as needed to prevent dough from sticking to rolling pin.
- cut dough into 1"×1" pieces and place on a floured towel for 1-1 1/2 hrs to dry.
- while noodles are drying remove chicken from the pot and allow to cool, when cool enough handle, debone the chickens.
- clean up the mess from the dumplings.
- once dumplings have dried add them to the boiling chicken stock with the pulled chicken.
- boil for 10 min or until dumplings reach desired doneness.
- eat as I'd or serve with mashed potatoes.
This quick-and-easy recipe for Chicken & Dumplings is the perfect comfort food. Add the chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Prepare dumplings and set them aside for a few minutes. Shake the pot gently in a circular motion to submerge dumplings in stock. Making the dumplings is easy, you just whisk together some dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt), add butter and buttermilk, and dollop the dough on top of your chicken stew mixture.