Homemade Chicken and Dumplings. Fluffy, homemade dumplings in the most flavorful chicken soup. Chicken and Dumplings is one of the top recipes on my site for a reason and I can't wait for you to try it! Learn how to make the BEST chicken n dumplins you will every have!!
Or, chicken n' dumplins' rather, as we like to say in the South. I had been eagerly searching for a recipe like the For this version, the dumplings are rolled out thin and sliced, rather than dropped biscuit-style into the bubbling chicken stock. This homemade chicken and dumplings recipe is made completely from scratch. You can have Homemade Chicken and Dumplings using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
- You need 3-4 of large chicken breasts, cubed.
- It’s 1 of large onion.
- It’s 1 can of chicken broth (unsalted).
- Prepare of garlic salt (to taste).
- Prepare of Creole seasoning (to taste).
- You need 2.5 cups of flour.
- It’s of cold water (1 cup?).
- It’s 1 cup of cooking oil.
Classic comfort food at its best! A bowl of homemade chicken and dumplings. It's a meal any Kentuckian would be proud to fix and danged happy to sit down to. And you don't have to be a great cook to make them.
Homemade Chicken and Dumplings step by step
- In a large pot, heat 1/4 cup of oil and brown your chicken for about 7-10 minutes. Add onions during the last 3 minutes and lightly season with garlic salt and Creole seasoning. Chicken will not be completely cooked. Remove from heat..
- In a large skillet, heat remaining cooking oil and add up to 1/2 cup of cooking oil to make a light brown roux. Do NOT make a dark brown one like you would for a gumbo! Remove from heat once completed..
- Combine remaining flour and enough water to make a firm but sticky ball of dough. Tap water is fine. Feel free season your dough slightly with garlic salt and Creole seasoning..
- Return chicken to heat. Turn up to medium high and add chicken broth and 3-4 cans of water and roux. While temp is rising, pull dumpling sized bits from dough ball by hand and drop into pot..
- Once near boiling, turn down to medium low. Add more water by can if too thick for your taste and you want to thin it out some. Cook for an additional 10-15 min..
- Enjoy as a stand alone or serve over rice!.
The dumplings in the dish are the doughy, chewy kind. They're easier to make and stay together better. :DThis recipe also uses a whole chicken Once the last dumpling goes in, lower the heat to medium and cook for ten minutes! While they're cooking, go on to the next step and shred the chicken! Homemade dumplings are so easy to make and turn this into an amazing meal. Add shredded chicken and heavy cream to pot, then return to a simmer.