Chicken stew Puerto Rican Pollo Guisado (Crockpot version).
You can have Chicken stew Puerto Rican Pollo Guisado (Crockpot version) using 15 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken stew Puerto Rican Pollo Guisado (Crockpot version)
- It’s 3 tbs of cooking oil.
- You need 4-5 pounds of bone in chicken thighs or legs.
- It’s 3/4 cups of Sofrito or 6 ounce bottle.
- You need 3 of bay leaves.
- You need of Goya adobo all-purpose seasoning.
- You need 2 packets of Sazon cilantro and tomato seasoning.
- You need 1 1/2 TBS of powdered chicken bouillon.
- It’s 3 of heaping tsp tomato paste.
- It’s 2 tsp of dried oregano.
- You need 5 cups of water.
- You need 4-5 stalks of carrots peeled and chunked.
- Prepare 1 of extra cup cold water.
- Prepare 3 tbs of cornstarch.
- Prepare 20 of stuffed pimento olives.
- Prepare 4-5 of yukon gold potatoes chunked.
Chicken stew Puerto Rican Pollo Guisado (Crockpot version) instructions
- Wash and pat dry chicken. Season all sides with Goya all-purpose seasoning. Turn large skillet on medium high heat and sear both sides to form a golden crust on the skin. But don’t cook through. (Note do not disturb while searing. It will autmotically lift off the surface of the pan in a few minutes when golden crust forms.) Place seared chicken in crockpot. Note: I usually have to sear 2 batches because this recipe is doubled..
- To the drippings, add oil. Fry sofrito for 1 to 2 minutes. Add tomato paste to the sautee pan. Mix and heat through. Slowly pour water while whisking mixture. Then add the chicken bouillon, sazon packets, oregano, and bay leaves. Bring to boil, scraping the drippings off the bottom of the pan with whisk..
- Pour mixture to crockpot. Sprinkle pimento olives on top. Cook on high for 3 hours. Turn crockpot to low. Add potatoes and carrots. Cook veggies until tender for about one more hour..
- In the end, whisk 1 cup cold water and cornstarch. Add to crockpot then stir to incorporate. Will slightly thicken it. Serve over rice..